Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had my divorce papers done with at company online. My soon…

I had my divorce...

I had my divorce papers done with at company online. My soon to be ex was served with the complaint. What happens next. There is no date listed in the system for a hearing or anything we haven't been together in 2 years. I'm just wondering what's the next step or what happens.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have no property or children together and live in different counties

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went down to the court house and they said they were just waiting. I did get the copy of the paper from the courts that she was served

5/24/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

You should expect to receive an initial hearing date within 30-60 days from the date you filed your divorce complaint.

Often times this date can be provided to you at the time of your filing.

If it was not, then you should have received notice in the mail within a week or two of your initial filing.

If your complaint has been filed and you have proof of service to your spouse, then there isn't anything else that the clerk's office should be waiting on before a court date is generated.

You may need to go back into the clerk's office and ensure that everything was properly filed, and if so, request an initial hearing date.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Ok they just updated in the system that she was served 05/15

There should have already been a court date generated for your initial hearing.

There may be a glitch occurring in the system or an oversight somewhere. You should consider going in to the clerk's office in person and requesting a court date.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this. I'm here to help.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Nisha Jones
thank you for your help

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!