Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have an outstanding childsupport case of which attorneys…

Customer Question
I have an outstanding...

I have an outstanding childsupport case of which attorneys and Illinois Child Support have unsuccessfully helped me get my childsupport. It is now in arears of $135,000 +. I continue to hit deadends. He works for himself. Other than his business and checking account nothing is in his name. He's been inheritting money from his mother over the past year or so. Childsupport services have ordered him to pay $100/month of which he has continually ignored. At $100/month, I'll never be able to collect my back childsupport. Without it costing me out of pocket money, as I have lost thousands over the years, how do I get him into the courts, jail, or whatever it would take to collect? I would be willing to work on a percentage of what is collected from him, should this be an option. There are also body attachments that have never been fulfilled.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in IL family court?

Quite a few over the years. This has been an ongoing issue. He was told by an attorney about 3 years ago to settle with me because he was in some type of trouble, but he never did.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not recently because as I stated, I have put out thousands of dollars over the years. My daughter is older now and this case remains open and I truly do not want out of pocket expenses as it has drained me over the years of trying to collect. So I turned to Child Support services and they are not doing anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to go back to Court and file contempt action against him and ask the Court to hold him in contempt and order him to pay the whole amount due on the Court date or stay in jail until he can come up with the money. It is not fair and reasonable to only allow him to pay $100.00/month when he has total arrears of more than $135,000.00. Only actually putting him in jail until he pays would be the best way to force him to pay under the circumstances.

You can obtain contempt forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.