Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiance and his son moved in a year ago. He has joint

Customer Question
Hi, my fiance and...

Hi, my fiance and his son moved in a year ago. He has joint custody (I think) with hi ex-wife of their 12yr old. She hasn't been supporting her son, and hasn't been seeing him regularly the whole year. Is there any way to get her to see her son regularly? I need to protect myself since I am supporting and taking care of a child that isn't mine.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

They have been divorced for a few years, but last year she just wanted her son to get out of her house, so they moved in with me. they didn't sign anything or document it at all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I own the house and all the assets, i am basically supporting everyone. I want to make sure I don't get hurt by the situation.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure, thanks
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Is there a custody order as issued by the court?

The custody order would stipulate what her visitation rights or shared custody rights are.

If she is not involved in her child's life, never visits, and/or does not comply with the custody order then the father can potentially file a motion with the court to have her parental rights terminated on the basis of parental abandonment.

Were there any other specific concerns you had in regards ***** ***** matter?

hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 27 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!