Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My brother has been married for 31-32 years. his twin

My brother has been...

My brother has been married for 31-32 years. his twin daughters are grown and living on their own. My brother has been the bread winner in his family. But his wife has worked on and off She's just lazy, and now doesn't want to be with him anymore. He makes 19.50 per hr. and she makes $1,150.00/mo. now she's telling him that after they sell the house, she either wants alimony or an extra $10,000.00 from the sale of the house. she drinks and smokes pot and my brother can't take it anymore. what do you suggest?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in MO family court?

Mot yet but they were suppose to have an amicable divorce. now she wants alimony or the xtra $10,000.00 from the sale of their house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, my brother is doing everything not to have to go that route! he works all day long, hard work, sometimes 12-14 hr days plus!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that she has been leeching off my brother since they got married.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My brothers wife only gets small little jobs where she won't be drug tested! she doesn't even make him dinner, and he gets home sometimes at 9:30 pm! and most of the time she's already in bed sleeping! She's a monster!
5/9/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

ok
I can't afford the $59.00 and my brother can't afford to fight his soon to be ex wife in court. I just need to know if just paying her the xtra $10,000.00 is worth it or should he fight this?
.

I suggest here he counter here and try to make a deal.Maybe $5,000 in lieu of spousal support.Otherwise she likely gets support here.I understand she is a deadbeat but honestly long term marriage he makes more they will order him to pay for half the length of marriage.

Also understand that tax laws change Dec. 31st spousal support is not longer deductible after that date so he wants to file and finish it this year.

If he gives her the money here, whatever the amount I think he is better off because the spousal will be more than that.Offer her $5k, come up to $7,500 if he has too in order to make the deal.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Prayers here.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thank you so much for your help!

You are so welcome,stars at top of page

To determine whether alimony is appropriate, the judge will first evaluate whether the spouse requesting alimony has sufficient property to be self-supporting. If not, the next inquiry is whether the spouse can become self supporting by getting a job or some kind of education or training. A spouse may also need support if a child requires special care so that the parent’s employment outside the home would be inappropriate.

The Amount and Duration of an Alimony Award

If the court finds that it is appropriate to award maintenance, it looks at the following factors to determine the duration and amount:

• the financial resources of the dependent spouse, including any property awarded during divorce
  • the time necessary for the dependent spouse to obtain further education and training
  • each spouse’s earning capacity
  • the standard of living established during the marriage
  • the duration of the marriage
  • each spouse’s assets and debts
  • each spouse’s conduct during marriage. and
  • the age and physical and emotional condition of the spouse asking for support and the ability of the other spouse to provide that support.