Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has a child and is paying child support. If he were…

My son has a...

My son has a child and is paying child support. If he were to disown//give up all legal rights to the child so the childs mother and her fiance could adopt the child, does he continue to pay child support or does it stop? Also I'm assuming if this were to happen it would all be before a judge.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

He'

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

The state is currently taking support payments from his paycheck. DNA testing was done and he is the father.

St of Connecticut
5/9/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline, they are incorrect as delays in replies are caused by many reasons including working with multiple customers on this site or clients in our office at the same time.

If he were to file a voluntary termination of parental rights, the child support does not automatically end. In order for child support to end, the mother needs to give a written release of support in exchange for him releasing his parental rights. As far as adoption, until she gets married, her fiance cannot do a step parent adoption. Once there is an adoption then there will be a termination of support.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

The written release of support would have to be done via the court? Does she go to the court for this?

Thank you for your reply.

There would have to be a written agreement, called a stipulation, where she says that in consideration for him waiving his parental rights she forgives and waives any child support. They both sign in front of a notary and it is filed with the clerk of court in the court where the child support was ordered.