Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex wife has completely depleated me from our divorce

My ex wife has...

My ex wife has completely depleated me from our divorce financially. She has no income and I’ve given her almost 20,000 in cash plus $700 a month child support for having our kid two days out of the week. All on paper. Now we have tax debt that she doesn’t want to pay and she has told me by phone she’s hiding money with her boyfriend. Legally she’s has to pay. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I haven’t done anything I keep spending money toward her and my kids plus my bills. I have no time. I own a business and I’m the only one taking care of my kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s pretty much all summed up

5/9/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Has the divorce been finalized yet? If so, are you obligated to pay ongoing alimony or was it just a lump sum?

It’s just a lump sum. $20,000 total every time I get a disperment check $5,000 is given to her. I had a year to pay it off and I’m down to one last payment.
The divorce was finalized as of October 2017

Okay, thank you.

If you have evidence that she was hiding money before the divorce was finalized, then you could file a Motion to Vacate Judgment, asking the judge to redo everything. That might save you that last payment, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Does the divorce decree order you both to pay the IRS debt?

Then you can file a Motion for Contempt. Let the judge know that she's refusing to pay and that she admitted hiding money. If you can get into court before your next payment is due, you might be able to get the judge to agree to let you send that $5,000 to the IRS instead of to her. It's a start. She can also be ordered to pay interest on missed payments, fines payable to you, and any penalties assessed by the IRS.

Texas doesn't make free forms available online, but you may want to call the courthouse to see if they have forms there. Also check the court order - sometimes it will say that she'll have to pay your legal fees if she forces you to bring an enforcement action. In that case, you could try a demand letter explaining that she's going to have to pay your attorney's fees if she doesn't start making payments.

call the court house and ask for motion for contempt form?

Ask if they have them. Not every courthouse does. If they don't, try www.uslegalforms.com or www.legalzoom.com.

Okay thank you!

You're welcome!

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer