Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I can't afford a lawyer .I want to devorce my husband and I…

Customer Question
I can't afford a...

I can't afford a lawyer .I want to devorce my husband and I want to know if I can get alimony

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I really don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ny ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My income is 764 from ss his is 81,000

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I would like a phone call and I live in ridge ny not ny ny (###) ###-####
Answered in 1 day by:
5/10/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I would like to Continue
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline, they are incorrect as delays in replies are caused by many reasons including working with multiple customers on this site or clients in our office at the same time.

How long were you married?

28 years

Thank you for your reply.

So for a long term marriage, NY law provides for lifetime spousal support. In your case where you are on SS and have limited income and his income is so much more than your income, then in addition to you receiving your equitable share of all of the marital property and his pensions and retirement funds included, you can get spousal support too.