Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Lets say a mother settles an out of court case for a child…

Lets say a mother...

Lets say a mother settles an out of court case for a child who has been exposed to an STD?
Lets say the child nor her father are aware of any settlement.
If the child or the Father ask the lawyer who represented the mother in the case (on behalf of the daughter) to tell them the settlement amount, Would the lawyer be obligated to tell them?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the father taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

No they father and daughter are unaware of the situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

New york

5/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline, they are incorrect.

If the mother hired an the attorney on behalf of the child, the child was essentially the attorney's client. If the mother was the custodian/guardian at the time the attorney owes no information to the father. As far as the child, she can compel the mother to disclose the amount, but you would need to get another attorney to represent the daughter in order to force them to do so.

If the father is named by the court as legal guardian over the minor's property, THEN the father can force the attorney and mother to disclose the settlement.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you.

Did you intend to ask for a phone call, because it does not seem you had any other questions.

Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started