Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

18 months ago I, an American Citizen, married a legal

Customer Question
18 months ago I...

18 months ago I, an American Citizen, married a legal Mexican. He was involved in a court case and basically we thought it might help for him to be married. We agreed at the time that when it was over - and charges have now been dropped and we want to proceed with the uncontested divorce. What is the procedure?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Nothing has been done

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. There are no children involved. This is completely free of any complications. We never combined financial issues.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/8/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If the two of you have agreedd that you wish to divorce, one of you can file an uncontested divorce application and the other would to show their agreement to this. Then the filing would go before the court for it to be granted.

Please let me know if I've answered your question or if there's anything you need me to clarify, explain or follow up on - and I'd be happy to do so! If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 3 or more stars; 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.