Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filed to terminate my daughters biological fathers rights…

I filed to terminate...

I filed to terminate my daughters biological fathers rights through abandonment. He hasn’t seen her for over a year. He wrote me and said he is fighting it. Do I still have a chance of winning? I have a fiancé who would like to adopt after we get married and proof of abandonment.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Californi

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Once you are married here you have real good chance to terminate and step parent adoption . You will need to marry first judge will not grant this otherwise.If he haqsn't done anything the adoption is in the best interest of the child.

You appear to have great facts here under California law to do so.

Forms and self help here to file and complete this

tep-parent adoptions and termination of parental ... - California Courts

I appreciate the chance to help you .Prayers to you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thank you! We originally had a court date scheduled for May 9 but they pushed it back today to June 27 and we are getting married on June 23 so we will be married before the new court date.

I think that will work fine, good luck here and congrats on all.