Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Its about marriage certificate. It says "Marriage license…

Its about marriage certificate...

Its about marriage certificate. It says "Marriage license Jerry ****** and Ivana ******" but it also says "Return license to Mr & Mrs Jerry ******." So is my legal name ****** or ******? I am Ivana.its from Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the Mrs. taken? Have they filed any papers in TX family court?

Filed and returned to ****** County Marriage Records

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I stated I keep my maden name ***** but it looks to me like they made a mistake and my name is ****** now

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/7/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (And, please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline - they are incorrect.)

Ignore that "return to" language. Your name remains Kratochvil unless you formally change it with the SSA and DMV, as well as your US Passport (if any).

If you do wish to change it, then you typically have to send the form in for the change within 6 months of being married; if you try to do it later, you'll have to get a formal court order from the family court.

NOTE that your change is limited to HIS last name or YOURS and HIS with a hyphen, or, your last name as your middle name and his last name as your last name.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

What if the ****** County Marriage records say Licence mailed to names Mr. & Mrs. Jerry ******?

That does not matter. The verbiage in that "mailed to" is not "official," it is simply automatic text printed by the county records because they DO NOT KNOW who is changing their name and who is not, and it is easier to let the computer program just plug in ONE NAME.

So my answer stands as is. Unless/until you formally change your name with the appropriate government agencies (SSA, license, passport), you still go by your maiden name.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law