Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The father of my 14 yo died before she was born, so I didn't…

Customer Question
The father of my...

The father of my 14 yo died before she was born, so I didn't put his name on her birth certificate. I found his adult daughter and paid for a private DNA test. Can we use that with the known daughter's endorsement? I've become disabled and can't afford another "legal" DNA test.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Which court would I do that through? We live in a different state than when she was born.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

We are in California, she.was born and he lived in Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm afraid that another family member's "endorsement" has no bearing on who can or can't be on a birth certificate.

I really WANT you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to respond.

I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?