Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am moving in with my boyfriend of a year this weekend.

Customer Question
Hello. I am moving...

Hello. I am moving in with my boyfriend of a year this weekend. He's been trying to settle a dissolution with his wife for a year and a half. His house is currently in his name only. She is now planning to file for divorce and wants to use me moving in with him as leverage to get full custody of her kids. Is this something she can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I am divorced. It is my boyfriend who is still currently married. They haven't even signed a separation agreement yet. It's been a year and a half.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

OHio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just want to be sure that me moving in with him isn't going to have a negative impact on his custody/parenting agreement

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

thank you.

Thanks for your patience.

It is critical to understand that the courts are bound to look at what is in the best interests of the child above all else. This means they will look into who and how the child’s health, education, welfare, and safety are best going to be served. Sometimes, this can be inconvenient for one parent, but because the kids cannot protect themselves, the court takes it upon itself to protect them. The bright side is that if you understand this in advance, then you will have an edge when you are dealing with the other side because you’ll be seeing this process through the court’s eyes.

So, only if you are a drug user, suspected abuser, sexual predator, or otherwise would be a threat to the children, an order for full custody is unlikely. It is more probable she is trying to just use you as leverage to gain custody of the kids, but it's not about her, but the kids that matter.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

No thank you, ***** ***** your time.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Ok thank you

You bet!