Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I just found out my husband is having an affair and want to…

I just found out...

I just found out my husband is having an affair and want to file for divorce. We have no children and everything is separate except his truck. His truck is solely 100 percent in my name and he is about 20,000 upside down. He also has a credit score of 480 so refinancing it is not an option. Is there a way to file and get the truck out of my name without ruining my credit. After our divorce he will probably file bankruptcy and is not good at paying any of his debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Also I have not done any yet. I was trying to figure this out first. He eats a company car in 2 weeks and then won’t care if it goes away. Just trying to see what my options are.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is our only asset we are disputing and if I can figure out we can file and be done in 60 days. He has been having an affair for the last 6 months and at this point I can’t trust him and I just want to protect myself and move on

4/26/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, there is no way to do that without refinancing the loan apart from directly paying off the loan.

<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor. <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt">Best wishes,<p style="margin-top:2.7pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.7pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:13.6pt"> <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law