Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In filling out my name on the legal separation do I still…

In filling out my...

In filling out my name on the legal separation do I still use the married surname?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Just starting, no papers filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what name to use married Lane or m***** *****? I have not completed a name change yet.

4/25/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, you'd use your married name, because that's your current legal name. If you want to use your maiden name on the separation papers, you'd file for a Name Change with the court first.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer