Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to learn what document to use to give my brother

I need to learn...

I need to learn what document to use to give my brother legal guardianship over my children in the event that my wife and I are killed or incapacitated while traveling together away from our children. My goal is to put them immediately into my brothers care so that they are not in the 'system' for one second in that situation. A document that our nanny/babysitter could give to authorities and that my brother could also present that would require that the police/child services people hand my children directly to my brother.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing

4/25/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Important Information (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)

1. I am a user of this website just like you. I have no insight into your account, what you are paying for the question, if you have subscribed for a reoccurring fee, etc. IF you have questions regarding the website, I would urge you to contact customer support (there will be an option on your interface to reach customer support).
2. This website will likely send you an offer for a telephone call. This offer is sent by the website (I have no control over this). You can feel free to accept the offer if you wish to speak on the phone or to decline if you prefer to type back and forth.
3. I will likely have questions about the information you provide, if you can respond to the questions, that will help me understand your circumstances and provide the best possible answer for you.
4. As we communicate, there may be a delay, rest assured if I am delayed responding it is because I am delayed on another matter and will respond to you as quickly as I can.

Ok go ahead

What you are discussing does not exist...that is, there is no document that you can execute today that would allow, on some future date, for your brother to claim guardianship.

The reason for this is that under the law, ONLY a court can issue parental/guardianship orders.

And the court will only do this when it is required "in the best interests of the child"

That said, if you list in your will, your desires for your brother to be guardian...and your spouse does the same? Then I would fully expect the court to award guardianship to your brother, in the event you and your spouse die

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

What is the legal process if we die on vacation and our children are home with the nanny?

The probate court will appoint a guardian to care for your children. And if you put your desires for who this should be in your wills? Most likely the court will appoint that person

But initially, i would guess, a police officer(s) would come to the house first and take the children to a care facility?Also, what If my brother had a 'power of attorney' from me?

The POA is of no legal significance when you die...but if he had a POA, I would expect the police and/or child services would honor that while waiting for the probate court to act.

But frankly speaking, it does not take long to get a temp guardianship order issued...your brother could get that in a couple of days.

I understand. My goal is to spare me kids that couple of days. There is nothing that can do that?

No...not today...not unless you want to give up guardianship to your brother today...but that does not seem like a good idea when you consider the very small risk of death

P. Simmons, Lawyer