Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Arizona and my granddaughter, age 14 lives in New…

I live in Arizona...

I live in Arizona and my granddaughter, age 14 lives in New Mexico. Her parents split time, half and half during the week. My son's exwife is mad at me now and won't allow my granddaughter to come and visit for her annual week during the summer. Can I sue for this right in Arizona? possible cost? can you refer me to an attorney in Tucson

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Have done nothing, just found out this morning from son, that ex says no, as he allegedly only gets her for two weeks in the summer without interruption, as she wont allow another week for us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Arizona, she lives in New Mexico

4/25/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

how do I go about suing my ex daughter in law for visitation rights. We live in Arizona Granddaughter is 14 and lives in New Mexico. This year she is refusing us our annual visit for a week in the summer

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. You would need to file in the home state of the child since that is the court that has jurisdiction over this. The parents have a right to be heard and they would not have to travel to Arizona when they live in New Mexico with the child. Unless this annual visit was court ordered, she has no legal right or obligation to send her and you would need to file and proceed to court, in NM, to have it court ordered.

There are three basic situations in which a grandparent may petition for visitation: 1) during any divorce proceeding, legal separation or paternity case involving their grandchild; 2) upon the death of the grandchild’s parent; and 3) when a grandchild has lived with the grandparent, for a period of time.

thank you I will think about next options. no more questions or help needed. thanks again

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer