Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I submitted my question last night and the lawyer has now…

I submitted my question last...
I submitted my question last night and the lawyer has now referred me to the state where child support was done. I am only trying to make a name change for my child and we live in Texas.
My 9yr old has a hyphened last name. The father and I were never married. He is not on his birth certificate nor has he ever seen him face to face and does not call. Paternity was established as an infant interstate for child support when I lived in Illinois and he in Maryland.He runs from paying child support and has 3 different addresses that he uses for employment.I have attempted to get him to sign a waiver for name change;however he does not respond to emails,text, nor v-mail. He doesn't know that my son has both last names hyphened. Do I need to attain his permission to drop one of the last names? I am trying to avoid paying an Attorney Ad Litem as I am seeing online for the State of Texas law. Thanks
4/25/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble.

You do not need to get the father's consent to file a Petition to Change your child's name. You are required to notify him of the case, and he has a right to respond if he objects. If he doesn't file a response, the change will almost certainly be approved. But even if he does reply, based on what you've said, the change will also probably be approved. Your child has no relationship with his biological father. The father is not a part of the child's life in any way. You should be able to establish that your son will benefit from sharing a last name with the only parent he knows rather than his mother and a total stranger.

Since you're not modifying a custody or support order, and you live in Texas, you can file the request in Texas. This site has forms and instructions you can use to file a case without the consent of the other parent.

https://texaslawhelp.org/toolkit/i-want-change-my-childs-name

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer