Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have power of attorney for my mom and i am an only child.

I have power of...

I have power of attorney for my mom and i am an only child. She was severely burned while at her boyfriend house on last week and no one notified me

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I found out on Monday and went Yesterday to try to get my mom but he intervened and took her to her sister house

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I haven’t filed any paperwork with the court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m in md

4/25/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what your question is?

What can be done legally to get her in my custody? It’s urgent that she be removed. What are my next steps?

Thank you for that additional information. Please give me a few minutes while I type a response. I am still here with you, but it does take a bit of time to type a complete response.

By the way, you may get a phone call offer. This is system generated, and I think we'll be just fine with the chat. Decline the offer if it comes up and we can continue in this chat function.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing that you need to know is that a power of attorney gives you the ability to act on her behalf, but not a right to do so to the exclusion of others. It does not make you the guardian. It simply means that you can act on her behalf for financial / medical issues without her express consent. To be able to take possession of her, to the exclusion of others, would require that you be the court appointed guardian, and that means that you would need to go to court to be appointed her guardian. Now it's likely that you would be appointed guardian in your situation, because of the fact that you were obviously trusted to be given power of attorney.

As it's a court filing and can be somewhat complex, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with guardianship cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

It's possible that there's an elder legal services organization in your area that could assist with this, so Google your city / state and "legal aid" to see if you'd qualify.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

How do i know what state to file in

It would be where she resides.

On paper or physically because she lives between two states

Physically. It's where she last lived with the intent to reside indefinitely (with no intent to leave).

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Her legal residence is dc but that’s not where she actually lives she lives in md
Not sure how i can prove she lives in md though

Testimony, bills, witnesses that say that she lives in MD. Anything that makes it more likely that she lives in Maryland than in DC.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (over an hour now in this chat today) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~1 hour 30 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer