Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My lawyer at the time of my divorce hearing did not show up…

My lawyer at the...

My lawyer at the time of my divorce hearing did not show up or failed to let me know the date of the hearing. So the judge ruled everything for my ex. I never signed the divorce document. I want to file a motion to reopen the case.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. I’ve only tried contacting my supposedly atty but no answer. I paid him 4K n have a receipt

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

The divorce was in Imperial Valley, CA 92243. I now live in Las Vegas Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In a nutshell that ‘s it

Also I have a RO up to when my 2 children are 21. I want to modify / remove. They are 18 and 20 yrs old. I haven’t seen them for 3 yrs
4/24/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, how long ago was the decree issued?

It was on June 2016. 11months

Thank you...so did no one show up on your behalf for the hearing? IF so, how long ago did you realize this?

4 months later when I followed up with my Attorney. He told me the option of reopen the case i have tried contacting but no return cAll
Retired from Dept of ICE in Oct 2017 n my pension n savings were awarded unfairly

I fear you have waited way too long to "reopen"...you have 30 days from the day the decree was issued to file a notice of appeal. Since more than 30 days have passed since the decree was entered, it is too late to appeal.

That said, you may have a case of "malpractice" against your lawyer...if they failed to inform you of the hearing, you can sue them to recover for the harm you suffered. You would need to hire a lawyer to sue them (your attorney) for their malpractice

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can reopen but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
I understand. Also. the ex hid assets n did not declare. I have proof. Material misrepresentation on her part. Couldn’t I open the case anyway?
Phone call session started
The call dropped

I tried and got a message machine

Hi. I have a couple of questions if you are available tomorrow please.

Tomorrow I am available in the AM...what time works for you?

I can be available at 10:30am PST. Does that time work for you?

Have we spoken already? Do you have my #?

we have and I have your number. I can text you my number or I can call you

Give a call at 1030 please

Ok will do. Thank you

:)

Have not heard from you...I have to step away for some time...feel free to text me and we can coordinate via text a time to speak