Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My granddaughter worked hard to get into a program whereby…

Customer Question
My granddaughter worked hard...

My granddaughter worked hard to get into a program whereby she can get her AA degree while in high school which is to start this summer and it is with a scholarship she earned for maintaining a GPA over 4.25 so her tuition is completely covered. My daughter is her mother and her father just got a dishonorable discharge from the Air Force and he works but claims he doesn't make enough money to pay child support. The judge stated he does not have to pay. But he also wants to maintain his shared custody of keeping her over the summer breaks. The judge awarded him that too. Now that means she looses her scholarship, she can't be in the program she worked so hard to get in. Very intelligent young lady who competes and wins many academic awards and now she is devastated because her father has been using her as a pawn to get back at my daughter because she didn't marry him. He had too many issues. Now, both my daughter and granddaughter are devastated by this because the judge told her if she didn't send the child, who will be 16 this summer, she will be in contempt. How can we fix this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

They just had a court hearing yesterday. My daughter had to do it via telephone because she could not afford a plane ticket from Florida to San Diego and she has 3 children and she works. So I'm not sure what kind of papers she needs to file. I live out of state. They called me last night, both in tears, because she is not going to be able to afford to send her child to college when the time comes and this was a way for my granddaughter to get into college.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, only that he is doing this out of spite. He never wanted to keep her until my daughter filed for child support when he went into the military.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/24/2018
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this matter?

How can my daughter keep her daughter in this educational program during the next two summers without going to jail for being in contempt of court because her daughter does not want to be taken out of the program she worked so hard to get in to. What steps can she take?
That's OK. I'll call a friend of mines. I didn't know you was going to keep asking for money.

Can you tell me, is there a current custody order on this issue? IF so what does it provide?

The father is suppose to keep her during the summer. This order was put into effect when he had to pay child support. Now that he is out of the military, he found a way to get out of paying child support but still wants to keep her in the summer. She does not want to go, she will be 16 years old this summer and she wants to complete her education in way that will be cost effective because he is not going to pay her college tuition and her mother cannot afford to send her to college.

Thanks

And sorry for the delay. Mom will need to go back to court and modify the current custody order. That is, if mom wants daughter to attend this program, and it conflicts with the current child custody order? Mom need to head to court and ask the court modify the order. They will (the court will modify the order) IF mom can show that this will be in the best interest of the child.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.