Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 71 yrs old have been paying permint alimony for31 yrs…

Customer Question
I am 71 yrs...

I am 71 yrs old have been paying permint alimony for31 yrs under the court order i feel bullied into paying or go to jail it plays a philological threat to me can this be considered bulling

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

All the court an arbitration just keeps pushing you against the wall pay or go to jail the x never worked in her life even after the divorce i am at my wits end we were married for 7 yrs with no children i par almost 1000.00 a month i can not keep making it at this rate she takes almost80 % of my retirement

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

S.c.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The judge that ruled all this hell was kicked off the bench for making bad choices

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/24/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Alimony can be changed, eliminated or reduced based on a significant change in financial circumstances. You are stating that you have a significant change in circumstances combined with changes in the laws around alimony and also the duration you have paid, all of those things are considered and you need to file in court to terminate or reduce your alimony.

I would really suggest you get a local attorney to file this as soon as you can as it will take a little time to get heard by the court, but it will get you your reduction you are seeking in almost all of these cases.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.