Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son wants to go live with his father. Instead of going…

Hi, my son wants...

Hi, my son wants to go live with his father. Instead of going through the court, can we agree on the terms and visitation and it and get it notarized?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

The child lives in GA, my ex is in fl

4/24/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

Good morning. Yes, if you and the father want to agree on this and not proceed through the court, you can but do want to reduce the agreement in writing, so one party does not come back and try and claim/allege something that was not true. However, if there is child support involved and the father was paying and now will have your son, this does need to be changed and modified, since he will not have the cost of support he child, while in his care. If this is the case and there is a direct payment, you can agree to change it as well but if this is paid through the State, they have to be notified of this.

Do you need any information from me?

No, I just responded above.

Thank you so much, so just to clarify, Me and my ex can draw up a agreement on child support and visitation and get it notarized and that will be a legal document that we will adhere by?

You are welcome. Yes, you can do that, which will outline what was agreed on. This way, one party can not go back and say something was done which was not agreed upon and try and hold the other party in contempt. I do think it is always best to proceed through the court and have it court ordered and if you agree, this should be fairly simple. After all, if you are going to reduce this to writing, you can do the same with an agreed upon motion and order and have it filed. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you again, will do!!

My pleasure and I look forward to the positive rating above.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer