Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been divorced for over 6 years because my ex was

I have been divorced...

I have been divorced for over 6 years because my ex was charged as a sex offender in denton county. I did get back with him a few years back and became his chaperone for him to stay in the home and be around my 16 and 8 yr old. I can no longer stay with him and I wanted to know if legally I could take my kids and move out if state?I know he can't legally leave the county without permission.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have divorce papers I filed 5 years ago..I am custodial parent

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to make sure he cannot press kidnapping charges. I heard that's possible

4/24/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is there any custody order in place?

6 years ago we got divorced and I am custodial parent
We live together now and I want to move but I didn't know if legal for me to leave state

Thank you for your reply.

If you have a custody order and you are custodial parent, then legally you can leave the home with the children and he has no legal say over this matter. Leaving the state is another issue, you will need either his consent or a court order allowing you to move more than 100 miles away or moving out of state.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.