Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Which takes presidence in Indiana, a divorve decree or a…

Which takes presidence in...

Which takes presidence in Indiana, a divorve decree or a last will

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Indiana family court?

No the divorce was un 2010 in texas and leaves the life unsurance policy to my x spouse

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, i just changed the beneficiary,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The insurance company just says that they will pay whom ever is on the policy. The court order in the divorve decree says that the x spouse gets the money

4/20/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
The insurance company is not a party to the divorce and they will just pay whomever is designated as beneficiary.
If the decree states the ex is to be the beneficiary then the ex would need to sue the estate for violation of the final decree, but the insurance company will just pay the designated beneficiary.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
I am hard of hearing so a phone call would not be good. Of course that is not what i wanted to hear but is kind of what i exspected. Thank you for your help.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer