Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandmother passed away January 14th. She had two life…

My grandmother passed away January...
My grandmother passed away January 14th. She had two life insurance policies, but the listed beneficiary was her husband who died 10 years ago. She had a will that listed my mother as the executor and sole beneficiary of all money and estate. She had no estate, all she had was the life insurance policies. We sent the death certificate for her late husband and the will, but the insurance company said that isn't enough. They have told my mother several different things she needs to fill out, and when we go to do it, we find out we can't do that because there was a will. Can you please let me know what we need to do to get this taken care of. The funeral homes have not been paid because we have been dealing with this.
4/20/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Since your grandfather predeceased your grandmother, an estate will have to be opened to have the two life insurance policies paid to the estate. Once the policies are paid to the estate, then the Will dictates you receives the money from the estate. Based on the information you provided, that would be your mother.

The first step is to open an estate in your grandmother's name.

How do you open an estate in her name?

Initiating the probate process is actually fairly easy. An application for probate will need to be filed in a Texas Probate Court. Once the Application has been filed, Texas probate law requires that you must wait approximately 2 weeks before you can have a hearing on the Probate Application for the Court to determine the necessity to open the Administration of the Estate and/or to recognize the Decedent's Will as valid.

During the 2 week waiting period, the County Clerk posts a notice at the courthouse that an application has been filed for probate. This posting serves as notice to anyone who might want to contest the Will or administration that they have a certain number of days to do that. If they fail to file their contest within that period of time, the Court can move forward in opening the administration and/or recognizing the validity of the Will.

Once the waiting period has passed, a hearing will be conducted before the probate Judge. At that time, he will recognize that the Decedent has died, that the Court has jurisdiction of the case, that the person applying to be the Executor is qualified to serve, and that either the Decedent died without a Will or that the Will he left was valid.

Where do I get the application for probate? Is that the correct term or is it called something else?

This has all of the probate forms you may need to complete the administration process.

http://texasprobate.net/forms/

Here is the Application:

https://forms.justia.com/texas/statewide/probate/application-for-probate-of-will-issuance-of-2064.html

Jessica B
Thank you!!!

No problem! Thank you!

Does a lawyer have to file the application?

Yes an attorney is required.

Is there any way to do it without an attorney?

Texas courts cite limited circumstances when an executor can probate a Will without being represented by an attorney. For example, if the executor is also the sole beneficiary of the estate and there are no debts against the estate other than those secured by liens against real estate.

It also depends on which county the estate will be located.

She is sole beneficiary and executer of the will. It is Tarrant County

Ok here is the rule for Tarrant County, Texas: The Court allows a pro se applicant to probate a will as a muniment of title (no personal representative is appointed and no letters are issued) if all of the following circumstances are met: a. Four years have not elapsed since the decedent's death; b. The original Will is filed with the court; c. The Will was signed by the decedent and at least two witnesses; d. The Will has a valid self-proving affidavit that complies with TPC 59; e. The applicant is the sole beneficiary under the Will; and f. There are no unpaid debts owed by the decedent other than debts secured by liens on real estate.