Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Need information on how to get a paternity test for my

Need information on how...

Need information on how to get a paternity test for my husband who is in jail but he recently found out he may be the father of a 15 year old girl. Her mother is deceased and she lives with the supposedly father's adoptive mother

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, I have not. Didn't know what steps to take being that I am the wife and he is in jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

4/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm sorry - I know you're not going to be happy with my response but I have an ethical obligation to tell you the truth so here goes... If your husband files a motion asking the court to require this girl to be brought into court (actually or metaphorically) for paternity testing, the odds that the court will require it are VERY, very low. This is a 15 year old near-adult and this type of thing has the potential to cause not just disruption but a fair amount of trauma in a child's life. If he knows the family then perhaps informally asking to see if she would be willing to take a test is possible but short of a court order which is unlikely to be granted - for stability and continuity purposes - the likelihood is not high that he'll be able to get a paternity test.

I understand but it was the daughter who reached out to him

In that case if she's willing, they can both get a paternity test. Those are sold online and in stores.

If there is no way to get to him in jail then he could file a motion and she can provide an affidavit stating that she consents to taking a paternity test.

can the ones from the stores be used in court n then How do I go about getting a test from him in jail

You'd want to speak with the jail operator - but in general it would be difficult to bring in a paternity test (even a cheek swab test) without prior authorization from the head of the prison. However, if you file a motion with the court requesting paternity testing, if the court approves it you'll be able to get the test in.

Ok thanks

It's my pleasure. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney