Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in state. My son will be 18 next month. His mom and I…

I live in Washington...

I live in Washington state. My son will be 18 next month. His mom and I have 50/50 custody, but he does not want to be with her because of her new husband being an alcoholic. Does he still have to follow the parenting plan even though he is 18?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in WA family court?

No papers have been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No. tried to find online what the law states as far as what an 18 year old can do.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/16/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Does the court order address or say anything about the age of the child?

It doesn't say anything about at what age the parenting plan ends. It just gives their age at the time the papers were filed.

Thank you. Once your son turns 18, he is an adult. He can make his own decisions and if he wants to live with you, he could. At 18, he could leave the home and live on his own, if he wanted to, so if he rather stay with you then his mother, and you are willing to allow it, you can welcome him in the home. Moreover, if she tried to oppose this, I think him being in a home where there is an alcoholic, is not in his best interest and there would be a reason to want to get out of that home.

Thank you. I also have a 13 year old daughter who we share custody with. She has also expressed not wanting to be there because her mom and new husband fight all the time.

You are welcome. In that situation, you would need to file a motion and get custody modified. You would need to show it is not in her best interest to live there as a result of the home environment and the fighting and that she is better off living with you. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Thank you for your help.

My pleasure.