Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Someone assisted my daughter in running away from her

Someone assisted my daughter...

Someone assisted my daughter in running away from her father's home in Indianapolis, In to the Chicagoland area and harbored her and the police refused to charge and arrest the adults she was found with when she read recovered last night.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was your daughter charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

My daughter wasn't charged because the addresare no laws against minors who run away, but there are lawddd against harboring a runaway. Why aren't the adults in this case charged and arrested for abusing her cross state lines and harboring her after abducting her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to an Indiana lawyer about this yet?

*because the are no lawddd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Connect me?

4/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. Are you asking if the police are required to bring criminal charges simply because you make the request?

According to Illinois law    (720 ILCS 5/10-6) (from Ch. 38, par. 10-6)
    Sec. 10-6. Harboring a runaway. 
    (a) Any person, other than an agency or association providing crisis intervention services as defined in Section 3-5 of the Juvenile Court Act of 1987, or an operator of a youth emergency shelter as defined in Section 2.21 of the Child Care Act of 1969, who, without the knowledge and consent of the minor's parent or guardian, knowingly gives shelter to a minor, other than a mature minor who has been emancipated under the Emancipation of Minors Act, for more than 48 hours without the consent of the minor's parent or guardian, and without notifying the local law enforcement authorities of the minor's name and the fact that the minor is being provided shelter commits the offense of harboring a runaway. 
    (b) Any person who commits the offense of harboring a runaway is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. 
(Source: P.A. 95-331, eff. 8-21-07.)
I want to know if this is the law, why not charge the adults that we're harboring my daughter when sheread recovered? Yes i did request that the adults includ involved be charged accordingly, but my request was denied because the officer alleged the woman in question was genuinely concerned for my daughter. How was she concerned when the law states she was supposed to report my daughter being with her. I think that's abduction, i'f not kidnapping because I didn't consent to get training my child nor did her father.

Thank you

I agree with your statements on IL code...however, police have discretion. Law enforcement has discretion. That means that they are not required to investigate or prosecute any particular complaint of misconduct. So you can report this to law enforcement…but if they refuse to investigate/prosecute? There is no way to force them to do so.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can force the police to bring charges, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

What's the point in having laws if they are selectively enforced based on personal discretion.?? What would my next step be to attempt to hold the adults ininvolved accountable? I understand that children running away is becoming more and more common so the police are becoming overwhelmed with the overflow of these cases, but i feel that until these adults are held responsible, they are creating an environment and culture that reflects this behavior as being ok when it's not. I like to prevent problems when possible vs waiting for them to arise and options are limited.

I agree, discretion can cause problems...look no further than the huge percentage of African Americans in jail (compared to whites)...that is due, directly, to discretion. It is unfair (in my opinion)

But it is the law.
If you are the parents, you could use the civil courts to sue the folks who did this.

Is there anyway you can think of that I can hold these adults responsible pride of seeing them in civil court? Can i address a commander, sergeant, or any 'white collar'??? Anything????I concur with your statement; black men only makeup 4% of the population here in the us but over 60% of the prison population in 2017 alone consisted of black men??? How is that even possible? I dont think that qualifies as discretion but perhaps discrimination would be a more appropriate term.

I agree that it is discrimination (the rate that black men are increased)...discretion is the tool that allows discrimination.

But you would be fighting a loosing battle trying to fight the police on this matter, particularly when you do not live in the jurisdiction.

You could sue the family who did this (who aided the child in running away)...I fear that is the limit of your recourse here.

My heart goes out to you as a parent myself...

Ok, that sucks major butt (for lack of better wording and my desire to use colorful language ��). I do want to express and stress my sincere appreciation and gratitude to you for your patience and understanding, and also for discerning my typos!

Again, my heart goes out to you...and I wish your family the best...it seems (to me...a white man) that we as a country are slowly moving towards equality for all...I hope I live to see the day...

Slow progress is better than no progress; 2 steps forward and one step back still equals progress. You're empathy is heart felt as tears literally roll down my cheek! I hope we're both here to witness it.On another note, I've been thinking of a way to recultivate "Black Wall Street" also referred to as "Little Africa" by offering housing and trades to these men and women that were plagued by or our legally constitutional discriminatory disgression. ... not sure if you're familiar with the locations of these places and events that occurred, but you may find these stories to be a great read.
I may be overstepping boundaries, but if you are interested or know of someone else who may be interested in aiding me with this epiphany that most would deem 'crazy', please dont hesitate to 'pull my coat tail'. My name is***** and I can be reached at(###) ###-####

Thanks...let me consider that.

phil

I appreciate it! Thanks again! Have a blessed and productive day, Phil.

:)

P. Simmons, Lawyer