Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is the process for a pro se divorce in texas. I've

Customer Question
What is the process...

What is the process for a pro se divorce in texas. I've received conflicting scenarios. im assuming i will be served today with the original petition.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

I have not taken any steps because one i don't want the divorce and two i haven't been served yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is military and stationed in hawaii I'm in texas.we have two minor children

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The process for a pro se divorce is no different than for a divorce where the parties are represented by an attorney.

Once you are served with the petition and summons, you must file your written answer with the court and send your spouse a copy of your answer. There will have to be orders regarding child support and child custody/visitation decided upon as well as community or marital property. Here is a very good guide for pro se litigants in divorce cases with templates for forms as well: http://www.tyla.org/tyla/assets/File/ProSeDivorceHandBookENG14RevisedP1WEB.pdf

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.