Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I will be married 2 years next month, however…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I will be married 2 years next month, however we have been separated for the whole marriage (living in different towns) we share a 4 year old son together but other than child support I get no help from him with our son. He barely keeps in contact with him either, if I don’t call him then my son doesn’t talk to his dad. Would I be able to gain full custody of our son during our divorce proceedings?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have not filed any papers in family court

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband is living with another woman who is pregnant. And she’s been living with him for almost a year now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your family law question. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your divorce related questions.

There are grounds for both termination of your husband's parental rights for failure to show any interest in your son's life and for a fault based divorce due to abandonment of your marriage by your husband.

At a preliminary hearing you can request sole legal and physical custody prior to the a determination of child custody.

You can bring termination of paternity rights petition at any stage before or after or during the divorce proceedings. The disadvantage of this would be losing child support payments if awarded during the divorce.

The divorce statute enumerated the divorce grounds you can base your petition on:

"

AS 25.24.050. Grounds For Divorce.

A divorce may be granted for any of the following grounds:

(1) failure to consummate the marriage at the time of the marriage and continuing at the commencement of the action;

(2) adultery;

(3) conviction of a felony;

(4) wilful desertion for a period of one year;

(5) either

(A) cruel and inhuman treatment calculated to impair health or endanger life;

(B) personal indignities rendering life burdensome; or

(C) incompatibility of temperament;

(6) habitual gross drunkenness contracted since marriage and continuing for one year prior to the commencement of the action;

(7) [Repealed, Sec. 68 ch 127 SLA 1974].

(8) incurable mental illness when the spouse has been confined to an institution for a period of at least 18 months immediately preceding the commencement of the action; the status as to the support and maintenance of the mentally ill person is not altered in any way by the granting of the divorce;

(9) addiction of either party, subsequent to the marriage, to the habitual use of opium, morphine, cocaine, or a similar drug."

We are here to help so please follow up with me on your question as needed.

In return your positive rating and feedback is what gives me a credit for my answer and assistance to you.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** OR BETTER

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill