Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How can I convince appellate judges to uphold a verbal

How can I convince...

How can I convince appellate judges to uphold a verbal agreement in divorce division?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, hundreds

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ioe iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just my original question

4/15/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Do you have any other proof such as witnesses or texts or emails that support the arrangement?
1. There is lots of written evidence that the agreement existed, including a signed document, in fact, that husband agreed to pay rent. Many emails from me to him requesting he pay his agreed upon rent.
2. The agreement was ratified and upheld throughout the marriage in that all assets were to be kept separate. No joint accounts, no commingling of anything, separate bedrooms, separate food purchases, even separate health insurance at one point.
3. Prenuptial agreement was constructed by an attorney prior to marriage indicating my intention, though husband did not sign it, claiming that I could trust him.
4. Husband was impeached repeatedly at the divorce trial. I testified clearly and believably that the agreement existed. Zero evidence to the contrary. Written documentation abounds. Case has now appeal filed.
I would focus on that evidence. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Appellate court should be shown the facts the lower court missed or didn’t give sufficient weight to.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please click the 5 star (*****) rating - it’s the only way I receive credit by the site. Leaving a Leaving a bonus after rating is sincerely appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started