Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In California if a man marries a woman that has previous…

In California if a...

In California if a man marries a woman that has previous student loans and she dies, is the man liable for the student loan debt

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in CA family court?

They have taken out a marriage license

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The answer is no...the man is not responsible for debt incurred prior to the marriage.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
In California, if a man marries a woman that has prior student loan debt and she dies, is the man liable for that student loan debt?
Where is the rating scale?

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Thank you. I appreciate your time and answer. I rated you with a 5

:)

just so I'm clear, this was a one time question and not a recurring charge to my Credt card, right?

that I have no idea (I am a user of the website just like you..I have no insight into billing)...but I can tell you that if you did not sign up for a "membership" there are no recurring charges

Okay thanks

:)