Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 31 year old son is single. He plans to travel around

My 31 year old...

My 31 year old son is single. He plans to travel around central and south America for about 9 months. Currently he has a clear title truck, personal possessions and bank accounts in 2 different institutions. Is there any thing legally he needs to do on his bank accounts before he leaves the country? He is aware that he needs to inform the bank, etc of his travels, I am referring to anything as regards ***** ***** or survivorship? Would a limited power of attorney be appropriate? And the truck will be in our possession physically. We live in the state of Texas. Thanks, ***** ***** mother

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No, I haven't even mentioned it to my son. He is planning to leave May, 2019. I'm just trying to be smarter than him, and stay one step ahead.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think I have covered everything.

4/14/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Does your son currently have a Power of Attorney?

No

Ok, I highly recommend he execute a Power of Attorney, naming an individual, to act on his behalf, while he is out of the country. The Power of Attorney will allow someone to make decisions on his behalf and sign legal documents. I also recommend he execute a Last Will & Testament. These are the legal documents I believe he should have in place.

As far as the bank accounts, he should name a beneficiary on his accounts by adding a POD (Pay on Death). God forbid something should happen, you will not have to go through Probate.

That sounds easy. He has a last will and testament in place. Should he get a living will also? I will start a list of things to do before travel, so he doesn't have any further worries. I'm just trying to avert any problems.

Yes it is always beneficial to have a living will. Most hospitals want to see your Living Will.

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry too much. Plan as best you can and then let him have the time of his life. As long as he has his legal documents in place, you'll be able to take care of anything that may pop up while he is gone.

Jessica B
Thanks for the reassurance, Have a good day!

Thank you!