Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question, in the state of Texas, if I own (have a…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a question, in the state of Texas, if I own (have a mortgage) under my name, I am single, and if I get married, how does this affect the title on my home?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No nothing, but since my boyfriend and I are talking abou tmarriage

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

If we get married, does that means that he immediately also becomes "owner" of the property, I got my mortgage back in Dec 2007

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/13/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am single, and if I get married, how does this affect the title on my home?

.

It doesn't affect it at all.. This is your separate property acquired before the marriage. So as long as you don't add you new spouse to the deed, it remains your separate property indefinitely.

.

if we get married, does that means that he immediately also becomes "owner" of the property, I

.

Nope, see above..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much