Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do I owe my spouse Any income once I file for a divorce and…

Customer Question
Do I owe my...

Do I owe my spouse Any income once I file for a divorce and move out?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, its filed and he wants me to give him income. Do is have too?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas, he has 3 degree but Sells real estate but hasnt sold any this year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No..... Just need to know if I have to give him money while we are divorcing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/13/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

What he is looking for is alimony or spousal support.

In Texas, the Court's can order alimony or parties can agree to it. In Texas alimony is very tightly controlled by and covered by statute. The reason I say this is that just because he asks, does not 1, mean you have to pay it to him or 2, mean he is entitled to it.

It is not unusual for Courts to order alimony, but it is not an automatic right or entitlement. As he is a real estate agent and is working, that would likely have a great impact on a Court deciding whether to award alimony. Real estate agents are not guaranteed a regular income, but Courts know they can make a great deal of money and that the measure of how successful a person is is how hard they work. As well, if he has three (3) degrees, that will in no way help him as he should be earning something.

Bot***** *****ne is that just on a request alone and his not earning anything this year that alone does not mean you have to pay him. Before you did, I would recommend seeing an attorney and have him look at all the factors that are involved to give a complete analysis, but I would be very guarded in giving him money now as that would give him the ability to say you had agreed to pay and that you should continue to do so.

Please let me know if you have other questions or would like to speak via phone.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.