Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I got married in another country in 2014 July…

Customer Question
Hello, my husband and...

Hello, my husband and I got married in another country in 2014 July but have been living together in the USA for almost 2 years now. I want a divorce but I am not sure if I have to go back to his country to get a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

We have a 7 months old baby but we haven’t been getting along since he came to the United States and I am always feeling like I am being abused by him but he acts like he has no idea of what his behavior is doing to me. I don’t want a nasty divorce but I know we have a baby and I need to go because ai can’t keep on like this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Texas

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/12/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Any person who lives in the United States can request a divorce there, regardless of where they got married. Texas only requires that at least one of you has lived in the state for at least the past 6 months. Tex. Fam. Code, Section 6.301. You will need the marriage certificate from the other country, and if that was not an English-speaking country, you'll need to get an official translation or apostille. Contact the Embassy for the country where you were married and ask if they can assist you with that.

Texas law allows a divorce if either spouse can testify that the marriage is insupportable and cannot be maintained. This is the no-fault ground, and it allows you to seek divorce even if he doesn't want it to happen. You won't need to prove that he did anything wrong, which is helpful because fault-based divorces are more likely to be nasty.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?