Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is 21 years old in Texas. Can she be made/sued…

Customer Question
My daughter is 21...

My daughter is 21 years old in Texas. Can she be made/sued to take a paternity test?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in TX family court?

None, but the gentleman who thinks he is her father wants a paternity test

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Np

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/11/2018
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is yes, I am afraid. Texas allows a person who reasonably believes that he is the father to file what is known as a SAPCR. If so, the Court can make all parties involved take the test. Now, she does not have to comply, but if she does not, the presumption is that the test would be AGAINST her interests.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.