Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I raised my granddaughter up til she was four yrs old and…

Customer Question
I raised my granddaughter...

I raised my granddaughter up til she was four yrs old and then her mother took her from us now we get to she her only every now and then and she always tells my granddaughter i will keep u away from your Nana and pawpaw what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I just try not to make my daughter mad and do what she wants to keep seeing my granddaughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Texas

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/11/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

In Texas, a court can authorize grandparent visitation of a grandchild if visitation is in the child's best interest, and one of the following circumstances exists:

• The parents divorced;
  • The parent abused or neglected the child;
  • The parent has been incarcerated, found incompetent, or died;
  • A court-order terminated the parent-child relationship; or
  • The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

One of the biggest challenges that grandparents may face when trying to obtain time with the children is the fact that the laws in Texas have a presumption that the parents will act in the child's best interests. If the parent objects to the grandparents' request for custody or visitation, this could be a very difficult burden to overcome. The grandparents will need to demonstrate certain facts that show why the parents' objections should be cast aside.

Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Was this information helpful?

Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago

I have not heard back from you and I wanted to make sure I answered all of your questions. Please remember to rate my service. Thank you!