Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 62 years old, permanently disabled receiving ssdi and…

I am 62 years...

I am 62 years old, permanently disabled receiving ssdi and have my eldest daughter as payee represetative. My youngest daughter (40 years old) and two grandaugters moved in and wont move out. I have asked repeatedly as i have mental, emotional and physical needs not being mey.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

How do i get them out? They are literally forcing me to support them and i can not keep doing this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I have asked her and told her to move. She said the only way she will move is if i call the cops, they wont do anything. I saw the state people but there isnt current physical abuse. Have not filed papers ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am in salem, oregon

4/11/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I guess I can wait, I'm concerned there is no answer and I'm stuck. Do you have any idea how much longer?
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
Your question is open to all Experts.
Thank you.
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

Unless they are abusing you, you would have to file an eviction. (In Oregon, abuse is defined as when a family member does any of the following:

• Attempts to hurt you physically;
  • Actually hurts you physically (intentionally, recklessly or knowingly);
  • Intimidates or makes you afraid of serious physical injury (intentionally, recklessly or knowingly); or
  • Makes you have sex against your will by force, or threat of force.

If you were 65, you might be able to seek another kind of order, but it sounds like you need to get this done sooner than that. So, eviction would be the proper method to get them out if they are not abusing you. If they are supposed to be paying rent and aren't, you can evict them based on non-payment. (When I say evict, I mean going through the actual legal procedure, not just kicking them out which is illegal). You can also give the tenant a 30-day notice if this is a month to month tenancy. This notice will inform the tenant that the month-to-month tenancy will end in 30 days from the date of the notice and that the tenant must move out of the rental unit by that time. If the tenant does not move out in time, then the landlord can file an eviction notice against the tenant (see Ore. Rev. Stat. § § 90.427 and 91.070). Oregon Notice Requirements to Terminate a Month-to-Month Tenancy has more information. Do you have any other questions?

No, thank you so much!

If you have no further questions, I would appreciate if you would rate my answer so I may get credit for my work. Thank you!

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney