Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Mom moved kids from TX to CA in December 2016. Mediation was…

Mom moved kids from TX...
Mom moved kids from TX to CA in December 2016. Mediation was held and MSA for possession established in April 2018. After much legal wrangling, final order entered on December 8, 2017.Mom began denying possession at Christmas, 2017. Said children were “traumatized” by having to visit back in Texas. Children have now missed 4 possession trips back to Texas.I tried to get Texas AG to help, but they said they did not handle out-of-state kids even with Texas court order.Does Texas have any jurisdiction here? I need to file contempt charges somewhere soon.Thanks
4/8/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

I know this is a difficult situation but you have rights. Since there is a court order, you need to file your Motion for Contempt with the court who signed the Custody Order. Which state entered the court order...Texas or California?

sorry I did not clarify, modified and final orders were issued in Travis County, Texas

Ok have the children lived in California for six consecutive months? If they have lived in California with their mother for at least 6 months, then this is considered their home state and you need to file your motion for contempt in the County in which they live. This falls under the UCCJEA (Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act) which is followed by all 50 states.

Yea the kids moved to CA permanently in December of 2016.So it appears my Texas final order was obsolete months before it was even issued in December of 2017.I will have to pursue the matter in California it appears.

No it is not obsolete! It is very important that you have that court order because it is what gives you rights. This is merely what jurisdiction do you file for contempt. In this case California will uphold the Texas court order.

Your ex will not get away with ignoring the court order simply because she is located in California. She is under a court order to give the children to you and she is not following that. The California family judge is not going to be happy with the fact that she is ignoring the court order.

Jessica B
thanks, ***** ***** heading to CA next week to pick up the battle there.

You have rights! I wish you the best!