Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I just asked a question but we were disconnected about child…

Hi I just asked...

Hi I just asked a question but we were disconnected about child support and college

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New Jersey

I was divorced from my ex-husband in Texas. My ex-husband is now saying he will not contribute to the cost of college for our son once he is finished with high school. I would like him to continue child support. My son and I now reside in New Jersey. Can I ask a court to continue child support while my son is in college since my ex-husband is saying he will not contribute to the cost of college?
4/5/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I can wait. Do you have an idea when I will have an answer?
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
Your question is open to all Experts.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

How old is your son?

What did your child support Order say about paying for education expenses?

Thank you for your cooperation.

My son is 17 years old. My child support agreement is attached to the divorce and says he has to provide medical and pay child support until 18 or graduates from high school.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Can I ask a court to continue child support while my son is in college since my ex-husband is saying he will not contribute to the cost of college?

Response: Unfortunately, no you cannot because pursuant to your divorce Decree, his child support ends when the child graduates from high school. Thus, he is not responsible for his college expenses.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law