Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I reside in Michigan and I am legal guardian/ birth mother…

I reside in Michigan...

I reside in Michigan and I am legal guardian/ birth mother of my daughter of whom I allowed to reside with my sister due to my work schedule. I flew to Texas with my guardianship papers and called the police to have them enforced and was told I have to go to court. I know that I have to get my current order domesticated/registered by Texas court but my problem is finding the correct form to do so. Everything I am finding is pertaining to civil and this is a family matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MI family court?

I already have guardianship in Michigan and just need to have my paperwork recognized by Texas to have it enforced.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I have spoken to one attorney and faxed my guardianship paper per his request and he has not responded since.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing that I can think of.

4/4/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They do not make forms so readily available in Texas unlike some other states. You need to file a Petition to Recognize Foreign Judgment/Order in the Texas court. Here is a sample that you can use to type your own petition to file in the court with the original of your guardianship order from MI. See: https://www.legalformpro.com/v/vspfiles/Preview_PDF/Collections_COL/COL_500_00.pdf

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I looked at that form, doesn't that cover civil as opposed to family?
The form that you sent me the link to is having a civil financial matter enforced, what about a family issue?

Thank you for your reply.

It is the same exact format, which is what I was saying in my first reply. You need to modify the wording simply to ask for what you want, enforcement of the foreign guardianship order.

Ok, thank you.

Thank you