Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wondering if it is legal for my kids dad to leave

I am wondering if...

I am wondering if it is legal for my kids dad to leave children at home alone all night. They are 7 and 10 and not mature.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

None. I just found out that this is his plan for summer visitation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

He works at night

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Texas He is active duty military

4/4/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

In Texas, it is a felony to abandon a child under the age of 15 "in any place under circumstances that expose the child to an unreasonable risk of harm." Tex. Penal Code, Section 22.041. Leaving children home alone over night could fall within this definition.

You can file a Motion with the court, asking that you be allowed to take the children when the father is working, if he lives near enough for you to do that. You could also ask the judge to order that he come up with a suitable plan for child care while he is working, and that overnight visits be denied until he does. Leaving them home alone at that age is not sufficient. You can include specific examples that show why you do not believe the children are mature enough to be left home alone, in addition to their young ages.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

We live 3 hours apart and he is supposed to have them for summer visitation. Can that be denied if he doesn’t come up with a sufficient plan?

You need the judge's permission to deny his visitation, unless there is something in the court order that gives you that power. But you should have time to file a motion to let the judge know what is going on. And the judge can tell him to come up with a viable option. What he's proposing isn't viable.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer