Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If I live with a man and care for him, how would that be or…

Customer Question
If I live with...

If I live with a man and care for him , how long would that be or he he is sick and I do all for him am I able to get any thing out of it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, He only said he would give me 1/3 of insurance money, he it was not in writing

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ks

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I take care of him, he has parinson and my name are on his contexts. I had all most household here .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/3/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Are you asking if you are entitled to any share of the estate when he dies?

I'm not able to talk right now. He is in room.

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately, there would need to be something in writing to entitle you to any portion of the estate.

Likewise, you will need to be a named beneficiary of the insurance policy to be able to claim any of that, as well (unless it is payable to the estate and your portion is in the will).

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you blindsided or spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.