Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My brother is going through a divorce. and has been dealing…

Customer Question
So my brother is...

So my brother is going through a divorce. and has been dealing with a monster of an ex. shes threatening to take the family home and has stolen monies from his bank account and is trying to take all assets with her.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your brother taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

He has no attourney

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He just found out that she was never divorced when they married!!!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/4/2018
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
If she was married to someone else when your brother married her, he should file for annulment, not divorce. File an innocent spouse can still get marriage like relief in an annulment, a spouse who committed bigamy cannot usually have property rights in an annulment. He will have to prove that she was married to someone else though. Should this proceed as a divorce, she would be entitled to 50% of the assets and debts acquired during the marriage. If the family home was acquired prior to the marriage, she might be entitled to reimbursement 4 community property used to increase the value of that residence. But she would not have a right to the house itself. Do you have any other questions?