Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to talk to an atty. i just explained at length, the…

Customer Question
I want to talk...

I want to talk to an atty. i just explained at length, the situation. my brother just commandeered my dad's phone.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in hi, dad is in fl. now. my siblings brought him back from Chicago to 'sell off ' his last property & have control of his physical & mental capacities.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

In ill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Did you forward my copious earlier info.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
This is one of hundreds, maybe a thousand emails over the past 6 yrs. from one of the two sisters 'in control' of our father's finances. The other ex-nurse, of his health. Again, during this email exchange, my youngest brother commandeered our father's phone and started yelling at me, accusing my questions about his health as 'harassing him.'..
4/3/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I have read the email exchanges, but what is your specific question for us about this issue?

pls. reply via email..on the phone is to difficilt

Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us? I read the exchange you posted, but I do not see any questions.

Is your father mentally competent?

Did you read the situation, explained AT Length in this site, of our 2 sisters, one an 'ex-nurse' & another in control of finances ?
My father is mentally competent, but is largely influenced by those "with him" and they have recently removed our ability to even talk to him, as well as convince him to tell us, "not to come to visit him." What can we do?

Yes, I said twice above I read everything you posted.

You say "what can we do" but it seems like the other two are accusing you of harassment and all sorts of nasty things. Do they have evidence of that? I am asking because you are going to have to go to court over this and if they produce any type of supporting evidence of what those awful email exchanges claim, you are going to have huge issues in court.

No, there is no 'evidence' of any of it. Their claims are just that, constantly 'documenting in their own words' (& relying on written emails from the 3 of the vs. us other 3 siblings). The emails from the beginning were first directed against one sibling (the one who visits him weekly- a real hardship for him because of where they placed Dad), then me, then the other, who was a pyschlogist (worked with elementary kids with bi-polar,etc.) in OR before moving because of health issues to FL. I told them that 'not responding' via email, would (in their minds) at least, be a form of 'written documentation' claiming such truths. Though I and my siblings have responded in hundreds of "unsent" emails because of the ugliness...them (& my spouse) telling me that it "just 'feeds their anger' and Abuse on both us & our dad."
The sister in LA got our signatures (with 'convincing' from the ex-nurse) for a Guardianship of our mom, when she was put into the mental hospital & drugged up ... but to my knowledge (and then prevented any of us from being able to talk to my dad's attorney) never has received a POA or guardianship of our dad.

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, so I am just warning you of this, because I do not want to see you go off to court, which is your next step and then have them produce evidence in court and you lose your claims.

So, your next step here is to take control away from them. This is done by you filing a petition for guardianship over your father in the court. You would need to demonstrate to the court they are using undue influence over him to prevent him from being able to make an informed and rational decision. You will also need to show the court that the decisions they are making are not for his own best interests but for their own personal gains as you seem to be alluding.

So, you have no choice left, if you want to stop them from abusing your dad, you need to take them to court with a petition for guardianship and take control from them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Do I need to go to fl to do so?

Thank you for your reply.

You need an attorney where he is located to do so. If they took him to FL, then yes, you need an attorney in FL to do so.