Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in process filed divorce from wife I want to engage my…

Customer Question
I am in process...

I am in process filed divorce from wife I want to engage my girl friend in two months and apply for married license afterward. is it possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

My wife has a paper and she has not sign and give back to me yet because she has a few question she want to check.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really, we don't have custody or any thing to share beside house we own more than value..

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/4/2018
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
You can be engaged while you're still married to someone else but obviously you cannot marry your girlfriend until your divorce is final.
You will also need to finalize the divorce before getting your marriage license. Do you have any other questions?