Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a legal question about moving out of state i have…

Customer Question
I have a legal...

I have a legal question about moving out of state i have full legal and sole custody of my children and my ex husband is in prison serving a life sentence. Want to know if i can do so without modification or notification since he's in prison for rape of a minor.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes there's a decree filed as of February 2015 awarding me legal sole custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of right now

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Family Law
4/3/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 18 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unless your court custody order says otherwise, you must either obtain permission from the non-custodial parent or get a court order of permission to move from the state with the children. Even though you have sole custody, if they did not terminate his parental rights, you need his consent or permission of the court to leave the state with the children.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** if I don't want him to know where I'm at due to safety precautions?

Thank you for your reply.

Then you need to file a motion in court to ask for their permission to move without giving him notice. Only the court can do that for you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer