Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am married to a non us citizen with a card and we have a…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi, I am...
Second opinion] Hi, I am married to a non us citizen with a green card and we have a son together. I want a divorce and want to know how this would affect custody of our sonJA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?Customer: I have not taken any steps yetJA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?Customer: MinnesotaJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: My husband's green card is based on the K-1 fiance visa
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
4/4/2018
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
The fact that he has a green card and is not a US citizen should not have any effect on child custody or visitation if for some reason believe he will kidnap your child and go back to his country of origin, that might be considered, but not simply because he's from another country. He would have to have said something or done something to make you afraid. The custody will be determined based on the judge's perception of what is in your child's best interests. Immigration status is not considered relevant in determining a child's best interests. Do you have any other questions?